Saturday, September 6, 2008

Rain, rain, go away!

I survived my first rain storm as a New Yorker today...a little leftovers from Hurricane Hanna! Rain in the city isn't the most convenient thing in the world. It's actually pretty dangerous! Eyes can be poked out by the umbrellas of fellow walkers-by! But I'm safe and sound inside the apartment that has no windows...which will actually be helpful during a hurricane!

But even before the rain began, my day was not without fun and excitement! I received a free ticket to see "Spring Awakening" from the Tisch school. They gave all of the students tickets because there are so many Tisch alumni involved in both the creation and the performance of the show. So I was on my way to meet a friend from school at the theater and was waiting for the 5 train. There was a very interesting man waiting as well! He had a wife-beater on and a tatoo of someone on his arm. He was furious that the train was taking so long! He kept sighing and hitting his thigh...just frustrated that he had to wait. The most interesting thing about him was his voice. Although he was alone, he would say something every now and then about how upset he was. His voice was super low...reminded me of one of the characters on the Little Rascals! He kept me entertained for sure!

The show was great! The choreography was my favorite part...it was pretty brilliant! And Nancy had warned me about the storyline, so I wasn't completely shocked at certain parts! Not shocked...just uncomfortable! But after the show, we walked outside and saw it - the rain had begun! So, I wandered to the subway station and eventually made my way to the 86th Street stop. As I was heading home, there was the cutest boy walking in front of me carrying a frog umbrella. He was shouting "Umbrellas! Umbrellas! Umbrellas!"...imitating a man who was sitting just outside the subway stop selling umbrellas to the unlucky ones who were unprepared! The little boy was splashing around and having a great time in the rain! Made me smile all the way home!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

YOU make me smile :) I love you and your blogs. I am so excited for the adventure you and Jesus are on together in NY. Thanks for keeping us all updated.

Love you!

Carissa said...

Love the updates! Must be a great place to people watch! We miss you Al!!!